Next weekend most of us will be heading to the Leinster indoors in Athlone. This is one of the primary events on the juvenile calendar and is always a very exciting couple of days for both athletes and spectators alike. Nothing beats the atmosphere at juvenile indoor events.
For some, this may be their first time competing at a competitive indoor athletics event, but whether it is or isn't, we would recommend the following:
1. Make sure athletes get extra sleep in the week leading up to the event. Some athletes find they don't sleep well the night before so it is important to build it in early in the week.
2. Make sure you have your gear ready the night before. Bray Runners singlet or t-shirt is essential. Make sure to change your spikes to 5mm for the indoor track.
3. Indoor events can be long days especially if you come through the heats to the final so make sure you bring a packed lunch and plenty of drinks.
4. It's important to get there in plenty of time to get parking, register and have enough time for a proper warm up. It's really important at the indoors to get a very good warm up as the middle distance races tend to start at a ferocious pace. So get ready 600 and 800m runners to run fast from the start.
5. Finally, for those who do make the finals there will be a long interval between the heats and the final. As the margins between medalling and not will be tight, it is those athletes that can handle this interval the best that will most likely run up to their potential in the final. With that in mind we would recommend that after the heats make sure you eat within a half hour and stay properly hydrated. Also leaving the arena for a while to rest will also help.
And after all that the vary best of luck to you all and make sure you enjoy yourselves!!
ALL athletes must be registered by this Friday. You will not be allowed to run outdoors in February if you are not registered. Please fill out the attached registration form and return it to training. Alternatively you can pay by Electronic Fund Transfer details are on brayrunners.com under the ‘Membership’ heading. If you pay by EFT can you please fill out a registration form also and return it to Ciara.
Tuesday: Training at Woodbrook College tomorrow evening 6.50 – 8.00pm.
There will be NO Friday/Sunday training this week due to the Leinster’s. We will have an easy session on Thursday meeting at the Boathouse café on the prom. This will run from 7- 7.45pm.
8th February – National juvenile B XC champs, Avondale, Rathdrum Co. Wicklow. This event is open to all athletes who HAVE NOT WON an Individual, Regional, County or Club Cross Country medal at the National Championships.
This is an uneven age group event, it is open for boys and girls U11, U13, U15 and U17 (individual races) and U12, U14 (relay). Please note it is 2019 age categories that apply for this event.
Please submit entries to the What’s App groups by Wednesday at 6pm at the latest.
February 23rd 2020 - NIA - Leinster Indoor Juvenile Relays